Friday, November 12, 2010

chapter 38


I thought the reference to a “collective dream” was interesting because of the recent movie Inception. The idea that we are all experiencing a manifest function of TV and subconsciously taking in the latent function together is quite interesting. However, I do not think TV completely failed by any means. It is true that recent TV is different in its intentions however, we still have channels like Discovery, The History Channel and even just news shows. While the effects of TV may be different on us than that of art or previous famous works, it’s the intentions that are truly different and that may be okay. If TV is purely a form of entertainment not intended for learning or any magical experience then it may be alright. I rarely watch TV and when I do it’s because I’m at the point where I don’t have the energy to do much else but I don’t want to sleep…that’s what TV is to me, it’s time to wind down. I often watch something I’ve seen many times before as well that way I don’t even have the emotional feelings of getting caught up in the story and plotline.  Because I don’t have cable I don’t keep up with things like Jersey Shore and anything I know about it I’ve just heard from friends. This is perfectly fine with me, I mostly use my TV to watch movies or my own past plays, musicals and dances that I have DVD copies of. To say that TV failed may be intended to say that “cable TV” failed. Therefore, there is yet another example of misinterpreted intentions. It is possible to say that TV did not achieve it's full potential as an educational medium. However,  would people even watch it then?

No comments:

Post a Comment